Monday, July 31, 2006

For a Moment of Forgetting... (Musings on Materialism)

To paraphrase Glenn Phillips, we've all got a lot to be thankful for. Some mornings you don't wake up feeling too thankful. Isn't it odd then, that an icecream cone and a chocolate cookie can suddenly make you feel better when you're feeling low? Conversely, eating an icecream cone and a cookie can ruin your chargrilled chicken sandwich. Had to eat the cone before it melted...

I listened to Peter Gabriel on the way into work this morning, and got hit by these lines. We're all so alike...

I caught sight of my reflection, I saw it in the window
I saw the darkness in my heart

I saw the signs of my undoing, they had been there from the start

And the darkness still has work to do, the knotted chords untying
The heated and the holy, oh they’re sitting there on high
So secure in everything they’re buying

I can hear the distant thunder of a million unheard souls
Of a million unheard souls
Watch each one reach for creature comforts
For the filling of their holes

... To paraphrase (more like read into) Chris Cornell, I can have the Wooden Jesus of materialism and "spend all my money on a future grave" or the real thing and be satisfied. I shouldn't quite be so much like everyone else.

No comments: