Monday, January 29, 2007

As the Streets of This City Tear Themselves Apart

As the Streets of This City Tear Themselves Apart

Every day entropy seems to greet me with a new pothole, as if to say, "don't you forget about me." 80s movies that everyone should have to see once before they die... The Breakfast Club is up on that list somewhere. You thought this post was gonna be about urban violence didn't you? Entropy is a little bit harder at work in Mississippi than in some other parts of the world. We like to call it Yazoo Clay.

XTC's Nonsuch kept me thoroughly entertained on Saturday night. Oh the boundless joys of clever and silly lyrics! Nonsuch is a satisfying blend of social satire, psychedelic flower celebration, and quirky love songs, set to Brian Wilson styled harmony and told with nursery rhyme charm. There are a few unfortunate instances of that distinctly British sexual innuendo throughout though. Nick Davis works his production genius to create a marvelous sounding album. I find a new favorite line every time I listen.

Everytime I look at my watch
I'm reminded we are poor in hours per day
Every second spent with her's a
Bulging wallet overstuffed with angels pay

This time last year I was conducting "Overhype the Super Bowl Week" on my old Xanga blog. While I once again have little to no interest in the Super Bowl, I did read this interesting article on ESPN.com about the evolution of the halftime show and the glamor surrounding the event.

Who knew that Up With People did four halftime shows in the late 70s and early 80s? Also of note, halftime performers go on for free. When you broadcast to 160 countries, I guess you have that bargaining power. There are a bunch of stories about prima donna performers who refused to be held to some contract or network policy. I expect that kind of thing from Janet Jackson, but Garth Brooks? Did you know that CBS accidentally broadcast footage of the Tienanmen Square massacre into China in 2004? This continues to hamper relations between the NFL and the Chinese government, go figure!

I'm picking it anyway. Colts 58, Bears 26. Yep, you heard it here first folks, there's gonna have to be a safety or something in there somewhere! The best Super Bowl halftime show ever is still, hands down, The Mighty Bomb Jack Show.


And the delta sun burns bright and violent


Mississippi and the cotton wool heat

Sixty-Six the highway speaks
Of deserts dry, of cool green valleys
Gold and silver veins, shining cities

In this heartland...

- U2

No comments: