Thursday, April 05, 2007

Around The Horn

Around The Horn

Blue Cross Sponsors Walking Program for Mississippians

They are trying to encourage us to sign up for this program at work. After reading through the website, I’m still not sure what the program is, but I’m thinking about signing up for it just for the free pedometer. I actually happen to walk quite a lot. I realize Mississippi is one of the fattest states in America, and I realize why Blue Cross would want to encourage this (it’s all about the Benjamins), but really this just makes me laugh.

Blue Cross has offered to map out a walking route specifically for our firm around the downtown, and one in our building for rainy days. Analysis: American adults are way too pampered, need to be told by their employers and insurance company to exercise, and apparently can’t even plan out walking routes for themselves.

Reminds me of a line from the Jimmy Stewart classic Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation:

Mr. Martin Turner: You haven't done much walking have you Hobbs?
Roger Hobbs: Only since I was about four years old!
(Turner proceeds to demonstrate the correct way to walk)

Watch Out for Christian Homeschooling Terrorists

Whitewashing Jihad In The Schools

More than a little disturbing...

Take Me Out To The Ballgame!

The 2007 Major League Baseball is now in full swing (ducks tomatoes), and of course, so is Fantasy Baseball. So far, my favorite player on my team is Boof Bonser. This almost beats out Coco Crisp for best name in the Majors. If you got points in Fantasy Baseball for best player names, I would be in first place.

My beloved Cubs celebrated their 300 Million dollar payroll expansion with a pathetic opening day performance. Zambrano had better sign that contract extension quick before he blows another start like that. They seem to have played better yesterday. I say get the losses out of the way early. Now summoning the ghost of Harry Carey to go get busy dismantling that Billy Goat Curse...


Six million ants crawling on a plate
Six million ants crawling on a plate
None of them give back
As much as they take
That is a fact of life
- King Crimson

4 comments:

Caroline said...

I got a free pedometer by sending in Special K box tops. I forget that I have it most of the time, but when I remember it gives me added incentive to move around.

And Jimmy Stewart is my favorite.

Anonymous said...

Argghhh! Et tu, Brad? Eggie is a Cubs fan. Where did I and your mom go wrong? ;-) So far, my beloved Cardinals aren't looking so good. *sigh* I'll just have to remember last year.

Coco Crisp? No! I don't believe it. Is that someone's real name?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot! I love that movie, Mr. Hobbs. We all call D "Boompaw" now.

NattaScatta said...

like the new color scheme. have you seen that commerical where the car follows the runner around because she doesn't have an ipod and wants music to listen to? i'm reminded of my own attempts at using the car to figure out a suitable walking plot... can't really take the car up on the sidewalk... maybe the mapping will prove useful!