Wednesday, April 18, 2007

These Pretzels Are Making Me Messy

These Pretzels Are Making Me Messy

Not much explanation necessary, pretzels can be quite crummy. Ergo, my shirt is full of crumbs at the moment. Did I use the word "ergo" correctly? I'm having an internal debate right now as to whether or not I should indent paragraphs on my blog. For some reason, it seems like if I'm going to separate each paragraph with a double space, than an indent in superfluous. Accent on the "super" SJ.

I got to see Nickel Creek play last night at the wonderful Mississippi College basketball arena. Uncomfortable benches and pour acoustics aside, they really did put on a great show. Nickel Creek is one of those bands that I like a lot, but have never gotten into since so many of my friends own their CDs (I'm weird like that). I was familiar with most of the set, which was fun. It was also interesting to hear music I didn't know so well, and really experience it as they presented it.

They are all fantastic players, and their vocal harmonies are incredible. I got goosebumps a few times. They also got to do a good amount of jamming which kept things lively and interesting. I'm not sure if it was better than the Alison Krauss concert I saw last year (courtesy of Trey). It would have been nice to see them play in a place like Thalia Mara Hall. So far, live Bluegrass definitely beats live Rock music in my experience.

There was a group who held up signs reading "Short People" the whole time. I thought it was just because they were short and wanted recognition (Sorry John!). Then the band came out for their encore and announced, "We never thought we would play this song again, but there are some people who have been holding up some signs all night..." It turned out that Short People is a Randy Newman song. It's a really funny song, although it's untrue that, "short people got no reason to live." At the least they keep us tall folks entertained.


And the sun came up on a sleepy day and never went down at night
And the crowd kept on singing Waste Away but it just didn't feel right
And the prince and the drummer and the fire girls couldn't get our guitars in tune
And I knew it was over when the sound man said, "I wish we were still in June..."
- Spock's Beard

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, watch those short people comments. That hits close to home. :-)

Minimom

Caroline said...

Nickel Creek covering Randy Newman? How much coolness can you take?

sarah said...

new format is nifty! i applaud no indentation in favor of double spacing. :-]
you are SUPER my friend.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.